Some of the organisations in this group have worked to support Challenge Poverty Week for the past few years.
This year, we invite you to join us in a campaign for a Real Living Wage in Cornwall.
Challenge Poverty Week is an annual event in October. Its purpose is to raise awareness of local issues connected with poverty in all forms – fuel poverty, food poverty, housing poverty, community poverty, financial poverty etc.
Awareness of issues is raised by
(1) inviting key policy makers and decision takers in the public and private sector to attend an organisation seeking to address or relieve poverty during the week itself. Our team is happy to support you with this element.
(2) hosting a specific event with a theme which delves into the detail of one specific aspect.
For 2023 that specific event is on Friday 13 October in St Michael’s Church, Newquay.
Collaboratively organised by Cornwall Independent Poverty Forum, Truro and Newquay Food Banks, End Hunger Cornwall, Cornwall Council and Cornwall Voluntary Sector Forum.
Each speaker will share their commitment to the cause and steps to how we take collective action for a Real Living Wage for Cornwall.
We have a busy agenda planned and encourage colleagues to arrive at 9:30am for a 10:00am start.
- Patrick Langmaid, CEO, Mother Ivey’s Bay
- Emma Rowse, CEO, Cornwall VSF
- Sophie Hosking, Strategic Director for Neighbourhoods, Cornwall Council
- Andrew Yates, Chair, Cornwall Independent Poverty Forum
- Simon Fann, Manager of Truro Foodbank
During Challenge Poverty Week, we are also encouraging all elected Members to get out and visit food banks and organisations working to support communities. Our team is here to support with arranging this. Email Justin.
Please find below the banner you can print out during Challenge Poverty Month (October) and show your support to the campaign. #RealLivingWageCornwall #ChallengePovertyWeek #EndHungerCornwall
Book to join us in this conversation for Cornwall
Challenge Poverty Week A4 poster
Download and print the attached poster and show your support to the campaign.