A number of organisations in Cornwall are standing together for a campaign to raise awareness of gender-based violence towards women and girls.
16 Days of Activism against violence against women and girls is an international campaign that takes place each year. It commences on 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, until 10 December, Human Rights Day.
This year Safer Cornwall continues to raise awareness of gender-based violence, the support that is available across Cornwall and the IoS and what people can do when they see someone engaging in inappropriate and harmful behaviour. The campaign aims to reinforce the message that it is everyone’s business #dontbeabystander.
In partnership with Safer Futures, the Violence Against Women and Girls Cross Party Working Group and West Cornwall Women’s Aid the following programmes of events has been developed by Safer Cornwall across the 16 days.
Key activities include:
- Banner workshops – 12.30-2.30pm on Monday 13 and 20 November
- Reconnect Webinar – an enlightening delve into the transformatibe RECONNECT and RECONNECT Respect Programmes, delivered by Safer Futures on 27 November. Book your place here
- Take Back The Night Walk and Vigil , organised by West Cornwall Women’s Aid- 5.30pm on Wednesday 29 November
- In-person bystander training delivered by Safer Futures on 29 November (Penzance). Book your place here
- Online bystander training delivered by Safer Futures on 30 November. Book your place here
- Courageous Conversations – half day online course aimed at people working with or potentially working with people engaging in/affected by Domestic Abuse, delivered by Safer Futures on 30 November. Book your place here
- Reclaim the Night Vigil and March, organised by The Women’s Centre Cornwall, Killacourt Newquay on 1 December.
- Building Better Relationships online webinar, delivered by Safer Futures and His Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service on 4 December. Book your place here
- In-person bystander training delivered by Safer Futures on 5 December (Saltash). Book your place here
- West Cornwall Women’s Aid Open Afternoon – 12noon on Friday 8 December
- Change 4U online webinar delivered by Safer Futures on 8 December. Book your place here
You can follow updates via the 16 Days of Activism Penzance Facebook page